The City of Ottawa operates a municipal contribution rebate program allowing individual donors to receive a rebate on their donations to municipal election campaigns.
Individual donors who donate more than $25 are eligible to receive a rebate from the City of Ottawa.
|Individual Donation Amount||Value of Rebate||Your Cost (after rebate)|
|$25 or less||$0||$25.00|
|$200.00 - $1,200||$75.00||$125.00 - $ 1,125|
Note: The maximum rebate to an individual shall not exceed $75. Corporations and trade unions are not eligible for the rebate.
Donors to the Jim Watson Campaign will receive an official receipt for their donation after the October 22,2018 election, and must apply to the City of Ottawa for their rebate before 2 p.m. on July 27, 2018, using the receipt and rebate application form which will be issued by the Jim Watson Campaign. Rebate cheques are issued by the City of Ottawa to individual donors who have made an eligible contribution.
- If the contribution by an individual to a candidate is $25 or less there is no rebate for that contribution.
- If the contribution by an individual to a candidate is equal to or greater than $25.01 and not more than $100, the rebate is 50% of the total contribution.
- If the contribution by an individual to a candidate is greater than $100, the rebate is $50 plus 25% of the amount by which the contribution exceeds $100 to a maximum rebate of $75.
- If an individual makes more than one contribution to a candidate, the same criteria apply, using the sum of the contributions to compute the rebate.
- If an individual makes a contribution to more than one candidate, the same criteria apply, using the sum of the contributions to compute the rebate, provided that no single contribution is less than $25.01.
The rules governing the municipal contribution rebate program are set by the City of Ottawa. The information provided on this page is offered on a courtesy basis by the Jim Watson Campaign. In case of any disagreement between the information provided here and that provided by the City of Ottawa, the City of Ottawa’s version is the definitive version.
Questions and full information about the City of Ottawa’s municipal election contribution rebate program may be directed to the City’s Elections Office.